Dept of Psychological and Brain Sciences
Moore Hall 6207
Hua.Yang [at] dartmouth.edu
+1 (603) 646 9630
Focus of Research
I am using behavioral experiments with fMRI studies to probe the underlying mechanisms underlying object recognition, especially face perception, combining with developmental studies on prosopagnosia patients. I am also interested in visual consciousness, binocular rivalry, interocular suppression. I'm interested in studying various perceptual processings without awareness, their neural activation and decoding the patterns under these conditions. I like to explore the combination of scientific methods, including mapping neuroimaging onto psychophysics, computational modeling of physiologic and psychophysical data.
- 2010 - Pres PhD. Cognotive Neuroscience Dartmouth College.
- 2006 - 2010 B.S. Psychology Peking University.
Honors and Awards
- 2011 Elsevier/Vision Research Travel Award (VSS Student Travel Award).
- 2010-2014 Dartmouth Grants for Graduate Study or Research.
- 2009 Second Prize for high score by New Oriental.
- 2009 Travel fellowship by Workshop on Cognitive Science.
- 2006 Scholarship for Excellent Freshman by Peking University.
- Yang, H., Guo, B., Meng, M. (2011) Neural basis of categorical processing for human facial expressions [abstract] (submitted).
- Guo. B., Yang, H, Meng, M. (2011) Does image contrast modulate brain activity in the fusiform face area and parahippocampal place area? [abstract] (submitted).
- Yang, H., Meng, M. (2011) Probing the feature map for faces in visual search [abstract] (accepted).
- Yang, H., Gors, J., Meng, M. (2011) Face-semblance leads to faster visual search and breaking interocular suppression [Abstract] (accepted).
- Yang H., Shen J., Chen J. and Fang F. (2011) Face adaptation improves gender discrimination. Vision Research. 51(1), 105-110.
- Chen J., Zhou T., Yang H. and Fang F. (2010) Cortical dynamics underlying face completion in human visual system. Journal of Neuroscience. 30(49): 16692-16698.
- C Chen J.*, Yang H.*, Wang A. and Fang F. (2010) Perceptual consequences of face viewpoint adaptation: Face viewpoint aftereffect, changes of differential sensitivity to face view, and their relationship. Journal of Vision. 10(3):12, 1- 11.
- Fang, F., Chen, J., Yang, H. (2009). Face view adaptation and its effect on face view discrimination [Abstract]. Journal of Vision, 9(8):526, 526a.